Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Counseling & Learning Skills OERs by SMCCD Faculty
- University Success (2021, BCCampus, CC BY-NC-SA)
- College Success (2020, OpenStax, CC BY) Instructor Resources & Student Resources available.
- COUNS-100 - Success Strategies for the Reentry Adult (2020, College of the Canyons, CC BY)
- COUNS-111 - Introduction to College and Strategies for Success (2020, College of the Canyons, CC BY)
- COUNS-142 - Learning to Learn (2020, College of the Canyons, CC BY)
- COUNS-150 - Student Success (2020, College of the Canyons, CC BY)
- Blueprint for Success in College and Career - Audio Version (2019, Grossmont College)
- Blueprint for Success in College: Career Decision Making Subtitle: v 1.2 (2018 Dillon, CC BY)
- Blueprint for Success v. 1.3 (2018, Dillon, CC BY)
- Blueprint for Success in College: Indispensable Study Skills and Time Management Strategies v. 2.2 (2018 Dillon, CC BY)
- College Success (2015 UMN, CC BY-NC-SA)
- A Different Road to College: A Guide for Transitioning Non-Traditional Students (Lane Community College/Open Textbook Library)
- Achieving Success and Happiness in College: 5 Ways to Make It Work (OER Commons)
- Foundations of Academic Success: Words of Wisdom (Open SUNY Textbooks/OER Commons)
- How to Learn Like a Pro! (Lane Community College/Open Textbook Library)
- Strategies for Academic Success (Updated 2021: Strategies for Academic Success, University of Saskatchewan, CC BY-NC-SA)
Careers and Employment
- CVC-OEI Readiness Tutorials (2020, CCCCO, CC BY)
- College Success Course (WA State Board of Community and Technical Colleges/Open Course Library). Designed to equip students with the tools to succeed during their college career, this course provides the opportunity to learn and practice methods that will assist students in identifying and reaching their academic and career goals.
- Try College 101 (Saylor Academy). This course is designed to teach students the basic academic, professional, and personal skills needed to be successful in college.
- Get a "SMART" Start - Tools to Help Students Succeed Online (OER Commons). Research shows that maintaining high retention rates in distance learning education is a challenge. There are various web-based tools and resources available that can help identify at-risk students and measure and boost opportunities for growth and success. Students can take advantage of these resources to prepare ahead of time to ensure a "SMART" start and successful completion of their online course work.
- Basic Reading and Writing (Lumen Learning). This course includes modules on success skills, critical reading, the writing process, research and grammar.
- Excelsior Online Writing Lab (Excelsior College). The Online Writing Lab (OWL) includes presentations, videos, exercises and games that cover the entire writing process There is also a section on grammar and an ESL Writing Online Workshop.
- Writing Commons (Creative Commons) Writing Commons is a peer-reviewed open education resource for faculty and students in college-level courses that require research and writing. Sections include The Writing Process, Style, Academic Writing, Rhetoric, Information Literacy, Evidence & Documentation, Research Methods & Methodologies, New Media Communication, Professional & Technical Communication, and Creative Writing.