Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Resonances: Engaging Music in Its Cultural Context, v5 (n.d., UNG, CC BY-SA)
- Understanding Music Theory (2013, CSN-OpenStax, CC BY 2.0) Available from CNX through 8/2022, then content will be migrated to Internet Archive.
- Music Theory for the 21st Century Classroom (2017, Hutchinson, GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2)
- Music Appreciation: Its Language, History and Culture (openstax) Introduction to works representative of a variety of music traditions. These include the repertoires of Western Europe from the Middle Ages through the present; of the United States, including art music, jazz, folk, rock, musical theater; and from at least two non-Western world areas.
- Music Appreciation (Lumen Learning) An exposition of the philosophy, principles, and materials of music from the Baroque Period to contemporary period with illustrative examples from the Baroque Period, Classical Period, Romantic Period, Contemporary Classical Music and Popular Music.
- Open Music Theory (2021, Gotham et al., CC BY-SA 4.0) An open-source, interactive, online “text”book for college-level music theory courses. Supports active student engagement with music in the theory classroom.
- Fundamentals, Function, and Form (2009, Mount, CC BY-NC)