Title of container is the third core element (Note: Some works, such as a print novel, are without container.) (MLA 5.31)
Containers are either
1) complete works which contain smaller works, like a book containing essays, a book containing short stories, an academic journal containing articles, a CD or album containing songs, an art exhibit containing artworks, or a television series containing episodes, etc.,
2) larger containers holding smaller containers, like a database containing academic journals or a website containing Web pages.
- The title of the container is italicized and followed by a comma.
- It is possible for a source to have more than one container, for example an article [title of source] from a journal [title of first container] accessed from an online database [title of second container].
- When the title of a periodical (journal, magazine, newspaper) begins with an article (A, An, The), the article is now treated as part of the title: the article is italicized and its first letter capitalized. For example: The New York Time.
Collection of essays, stories, poems, etc.:
Poe, Edgar Allan. "The Black Cat". Literature: Reading Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, edited by Robert DiYanni, 6th ed., McGraw Hill, 2007, pp. 137-43.
Print journal, magazine, or newspaper article:
Dukes, Charlene. "Recognizing our Camelot Moment." Community College Journal, vol. 86, no. 5, Apr./May 2016, p. 1.
Journal, magazine, or newspaper article from an online database:
Tucker, Virginia M., et al. “Learning Portals: Analyzing Threshold Concept Theory for LIS Education.” Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, vol. 55, no. 2, Apr. 2014, pp. 150-65. ERIC, www.eric.ed.gov/contentdelivery/servlet/ERICServlet?accno=EJ1074326.
Television series episode:
"Something Nice Back Home." Lost, directed by Stephen Williams, performance by Matthew Fox , season 4, episode 10, Bad Robot, 2008.
Meade, Rita. "It's Not Too Late to Advocate." Screwy Decimal, 1 June 2016, www.screwydecimal.com/2016/06/its-not-too-late-to-advocate.html.
Byrne, John and Jim Lee. "The Resurrection and the Flesh." X-Men, vol. 2, no. 4, Marvel Comics, Jan. 1992.
The information above is mostly adapted from IRSC Libraries.