Get all the content in place before making it pretty.
Keep a consistent theme and style.
Transition and effects meanings:
Many effects are used like punctuation marks in sentences to divide video programs into orderly, understandable parts.
- CUT - An instant change from one shot to the next (no transition effect). This most common transition keeps action feel.
- CROSS FADE - A gradual fade from one shot to the next. Indicates time passing, change of location, or relaxed feel.
- DIP TO BLACK - Fades completely to black before fading into new image. Indicates larger change.
- WIPE - One shot replaced by another in a geometric pattern. Good for breaks in edited interviews so it doesn't look choppy.
- FADE FROM/TO BLACK - Indicates beginning or ending of scene or major change.